Monday, May 14, 2012

Stripers, Dimes, & Prom. Oh My!





Art & Oysters was only the beginning of a fun weekend for Glenn Springs Academy.

Early Saturday morning, Mr. Bo Moss (Maintenance Supervisor/ Vocational Educator) and Mr. Raymond Davis (Executive Director) took some of the boys to Lake Hartwell for a fishing tournament with the Striper Kings of Greenville. The group took the 9 boys out on boats and they caught over 20 fish, including a 15 lb 2 oz striper! Afterwards, the boys were awarded trophies, fed hot dogs and pizza, and as Mr. Bo put it “treated like kings.” This is the second time the boys have participated in this unforgettable event and hope to for many years to come.

At the same time, the remaining boys were taken to Duncan Park to participate in the Marchof Dimes walk by Ms. Nicole (AmeriCorps*VISTA) and Mr. Maurice (Direct Care Staff). GSA had been invited to be a part of the Carolina Alliance Bank’s team. The boys enjoyed getting some exercise while sharing in the worthwhile cause on the 2.5 mile route. After the walk, the team graciously provided hot dogs for the boys.

Later on that afternoon, our 3 boys that were attending prom began getting ready for the evening event. Their perspectives of prom follow:

            “I started getting ready at 4pm.  I was not nervous since I had been to prom before.  At 5:30pm, I met my date and our friends at their house. After we took like 800 pictures, we headed to Outback Steakhouse for dinner. After we had thoroughly gorged ourselves on delicious steak, we drove to Cleveland Park for yet more posing for pictures.  Next, it was time for prom. Once we got to the Spartanburg Auditorium, I saw several police officers that I knew from church and one that is a GSA staff member. After talking with them for a bit, I spoke with the Superintendent and the Principal of Dorman with whom I was acquainted. I had not seen either in awhile and was catching them up on how I was doing in college.  Overall, I had a great time. It was fun to see people I had not seen in awhile."

Another one of the participants states: “To be totally honest, I just went for the food. I danced with three different girls. I liked dressing up but the tux was itchy.  I danced a ton.”

As you can see, it’s always an exciting day here at Glenn Springs Academy, even on Saturdays.

Thanks to the Striper Kings of Greenville, Carolina Alliance Bank, and all who made these events possible. 



Don’t forget to post comments or questions below!




No comments:

Post a Comment